Written By Admin Published on December 7, 2023

In a remarkable achievement for the microfinance sector, 108 apprentices, including employees from Micro Financial Institutions (MFIs), have successfully completed the rigorous 12-month Dual Apprenticeship System in the Microfinance Sector. The program, focused on capacity development, aimed to equip participants with advanced skills, urging them to leverage this expertise to provide top-notch services within the industry.
Implemented by the Association of Microfinance Institutions in Rwanda (AMIR) in collaboration with the Rwanda Development Board (RDB), Rwanda Institute of Cooperatives, Entrepreneurship, and Microfinance (RICEM), and the German Sparkassenstiftung for International Cooperation (DSIK), the program reflects a collective effort to enhance professionalism and skillsets in the microfinance landscape.

The cohort of 108 graduates, certified as Microfinance Practitioners on November 22nd 2023 represents a diverse group. Among them, 67 are female apprentices, underlining the commitment to gender inclusivity, and 41 are male apprentices. This balanced representation mirrors the inclusive approach of the program.
The graduating class comprises 150 individuals affiliated with 60 MFIs, bringing practical industry experience to the forefront. Additionally, 52 graduates joined from the RDB database, holding bachelor’s degrees in relevant fields of study. This blend of fresh perspectives and seasoned professionals enriches the overall learning environment.

The Dual Apprenticeship System is strategically rolled out in Kigali City, Muhanga and Rubavu District. This geographical distribution aims to up-skill employees from MFIs, address youth unemployment, and enhance professionalism across the microfinance workforce. The program emphasizes a holistic approach, bridging theoretical learning with practical application to ensure comprehensive skill development.
The program’s unique structure allocates 20% of the learning to theoretical sessions, providing a strong foundational understanding. The remaining 80% emphasizes practical application, allowing apprentices to immerse themselves in hosting financial institutions. This hands-on experience ensures that graduates are not only well-versed in theory but also adept at applying their knowledge in real-world microfinance scenarios.
The Dual Apprenticeship System is a strategic intervention that not only addresses immediate industry needs but also lays the groundwork for a sustainable and professional microfinance sector. By blending theoretical and practical learning, the program ensures that graduates are equipped with the skills necessary to excel in their roles and contribute meaningfully to the growth of MFIs.

As the graduates step into the next phase of their professional journey, armed with certifications as Microfinance Practitioner, the microfinance sector in Rwanda anticipates a positive and transformative impact. The collaborative efforts of MIFOTRA, AMIR, RDB, RICEM,DSIK, Chancen International reflect a commitment to fostering excellence in the industry, and the graduating class stands as a testament to the success of this endeavor.